Using our famous books, millions of people have done it!
- Know what’s going on
- Control your case
- Step-by-step instructions
- Proved reliable and effective for over 35 years!
Superior to online services
There are services on the Internet where you can fill out divorce forms for anywhere from zero to $250 or more. What’s wrong with that? Well, if it was a good idea, we would have done it long ago, but it is not a good idea.
Here’s what they don’t tell you!
- Not enough information. Divorce is not about filling out forms—it is about understanding your situation and making decisions. To fill out forms, you need to know what it means to check one box rather than another or file one form rather than another. You need to know where you are, what’s going on, where you are going. This information is either totally inadequate or completely missing on all sites we have reviewed.
- Limited & incomplete. These services have one fixed way to do cases that does not cover a wide variety of situations. You can easily discover part-way through that your case does not fit their pattern. Some services get you started but do not complete the case or do not provide important options.
- Inflexible. Once you start to fill out the forms, you are stuck on a very long path that you can’t get off. It is not easy, maybe not possible, to jump about from one place to another. What’s worse, you can’t step back and get a long view, so you are forced to work without a good understanding for what’s going on, where you are in the process, where you are trying to go, or why you are doing things their way.
- Cost. The free online services are not worth the price. The expensive ones are really not worth the price. Our books cost very little, but they are invaluable! If you want confirmation, just read our mail.
Superior to retaining an attorney
Attorneys will take your case into the legal system where things tend to get worse and where there are few tools to solve the problems most people have in a divorce. Better to do it yourself. Even if you hire an attorney, you want to be fully informed and prepared before you do and we tell you how to choose and use an attorney. But you probably won’t have to. Our books explain in detail why this is true and exactly what you can do about it.
Superior to other books
- Reliable and effective. We invented self-help law over 35 years ago and since then our famous books have proved themselves to millions of users. Like them, you can put your trust in our books and our methods. We really do know how you can make any divorce better.
- Complete and up to date. Our books are updated frequently and we maintain updates for each book on our web site where you can find the latest forms and legal changes as soon as they become available. No one else offers this service.
- What to avoid. Stay away from books that are not current, even ours, and forms that are not specifically for your state. Some books say they are good in all states, but this is simply not true. Stick with Nolo, the reliable leader.
We show you how!
The things you can do yourself are far more effective than anything any lawyer can do for you. Our award-winning book is only 160 pages long, easy to read, and contains many specific steps you can take to make things a lot better and forms to help you organize your facts and your thinking. This information is effective in every state and worldwide.
Do Your Own Divorce. Most people can do their own divorces entirely without an attorney and are much better off for it. Millions have already done this by using our famous books and saved themselves a lot of money and trouble. These are complete kits with legal information, practical advice, step-by-step instructions, all the forms you need, and they are ridiculously cheap!